Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Paintless Dent Repair - Is it For You?

Paintless dent repair training is a difficult endeavor.

Learning paintless dent repair is difficult. Even after several weeks of training and several months of practicing you may not be capable of paintless dent removal (PDR). My own training consisted of a session of direct interaction with my trainer, then a week of practice. This cycle continued for several months. Even after this, training tends to continue for YEARS. The PDR industry allows for continual learning if you desire to do so. I have been a door-ding tech for 14 years, and last week some hail techs showed me a few techniques that improved my abilities.

Most individuals go to one of several training centers throughout the US to train. Training sessions last anywhere from 3 days to several weeks. I personally know about 2 dozen people who have been trained. None of those that succeeded did so within the first month after they finished their training. Usually it was 3-6 months later that they started seeing progress to the point they believed that PDR was for them. I know a lot of people who have quit PDR, because of it's difficult nature.

Here's a list of qualities you should possess before you start training:

  1. 20/20 correctable vision.
  2. Tenacity.
  3. Patience.
  4. Great hand-eye coordination.
  5. Physically capable of bending over frequently.

Certainly there are several more you could possess, but those cover a lot of the basic needs before you train.

So what's to gain by learning PDR?

Learning PDR with accomplish many things for you, but those things depend upon the variables in place in your life.

Income can increase tremendously. I started in PDR making no more than $25,000 a year. This month, I met some hail techs who will generate at least $350,000 in income. My personal income will be above $100k this year. Not bad for a non-college grad.

Freedom from a boss. I don't have a "BOSS" in the conventional way. Yet, I do have several of them with all my dealerships and body shops I cover in my route. I also have a wife....

Less time at work. I seldom work more than fifty hours a week. I do not have to work weekends. You see the trend.

Move forward with you decision to train in PDR. There are enough reasons to start training as soon as possible. Next week I will discuss costs associated with PDR, including initial training. Have a great week!

Duane A Langenfeld

http://www.paintless-dent-repair-info.com

1 comment:

funkystyle said...

Learning PDR with accomplish many things for you, but those things depend upon the variables in place in your life.

Dent Repair Orange County