Sunday, April 5, 2009

Outdoor Living - Patio Cover, Pergola, Sunroom Or Screenroom?

Outdoor life in Texas can be unpleasant and downright brutal. With high humidity year-round and storms like Ike, Texans have a lot to think about outside the comfort of their interior space. Relocating to Texas from a less harsh climate, I started my outdoor living space education when I purchased my first "older" home. I learned a new language which included things like: Hardie plank and Hardie siding, screenrooms, pergola, and replacement windows. I quickly understood exterior painting was a must at least every other year if I wanted to maintain the visual integrity of my home. I was faced with making a decision to add a carport for the protection of a third vehicle and I struggled with making the decision between a patio cover, sunroom, deck or arbor.

It became abundantly clear to me; I needed a contractor who specialized in exterior home improvements and outdoor living space. The first job I needed to address was replacing rotten siding with a product that could withstand the Texas weather elements - and Hardie siding was the answer. Because the Hardie products do not rot like wood, are pest resistant and do not fly off in strong wind, I felt like it was the right product to use. The added bonus of the exterior paint lasting longer on the Hardie plank made my decision even easier. Once the new Hardie siding was installed, I turned to replacement window issues. Thank goodness for my trusted contractor, who took time to educate me on the best solutions for my needs. The work was completed and I began to feel as though the exterior of my home was ready for life in Texas.

The contractor, who I now had a comfortable working relationship with, suggested we turn to my outdoor living needs. Thus began my education in understanding the difference between building pergolas, sunrooms, decks, arbors, screenrooms and covered patios. Each structure had benefits and I knew any one of them would add visual aesthetics as well as added value to my home. Each structure offered various types of materials, colors, styles, and price ranges. My contractor explained that many of these structures were available in do-it-yourself kits, which could save me money and provide a huge sense of accomplishment upon completing the project. Wow, what a great idea!

Since my backyard had a pool, but not much else, I chose to build a covered patio and incorporated an attached pergola. I used the materials suggested by the contractor, who helped me design the entire project. I was so excited by the visual effects that I even added an arbor to the entrance of my garden. Through my contractor, I was able to order the do-it-yourself kit online. While online, I ordered the materials to build that carport I needed. The instructions were easy to follow and the materials easy to use. My Texas home was becoming a true show place and one with great added value!

Begin searching for that Texas contractor who has been in business for years, is licensed, bonded, and has a loyal client base. Exterior home improvements can be daunting, exhausting, and expensive. It is worth searching for the contractor who will help you assess your needs, discuss the scope of work, timeline, and cost. Hire the contractor who has the knowledge to install the Hardie siding and Hardie plank properly. Look for the contractor who can help you bring your backyard vision of a new patio cover, arbor, sunroom, deck or screenroom to life and begin enjoying your Texas outdoor life!

Chris Robertson is an author of Majon International, one of the worlds MOST popular internet marketing companies on the web. Learn more about Texas Patio Covers.

Vaulted Ceiling Insulation

No comments: